#IamKomenATL – Lila Hertz

10x12 PSA_Lila Hertz_Final

When I was diagnosed with breast cancer in May of 1998, I was preparing to send my daughter to college and training for a marathon.  I could not let the diagnosis slow me down.

Through early detection, excellent medical care and healthy life choices, I was able to make a full recovery.  I had a lumpectomy and radiation, and it was exercise that gave me the energy to keep going. Exercise became an emotional and physical outlet for me, and an integral part of my journey.  I completed the marathon and beat breast cancer!

But in metro Atlanta, the race is not over.  Women in metro Atlanta have higher breast cancer mortality and late-stage diagnosis rates than other cities in Georgia. And Georgia has higher rates than the United States as a whole.  We must not stop until everyone in metro Atlanta has access to lifesaving breast cancer services and treatments.

Donations to Komen Atlanta save lives.  75 percent of funds raised stay in metro Atlanta to provide breast health services for people who might not otherwise be able to afford them, and the remaining 25 percent of funds raised support national research efforts to find cures for breast cancer.

Please, join my fight to help more people beat breast cancer.

Yes-Maam-LogoMy name is Lila Hertz, and I am Komen Atlanta.

Komen Atlanta empowers people in our community with information and resources so they, too, can detect and survive breast cancer.  This October, in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, make a difference by donating to Komen Atlanta and Say “Yes Ma’am” to save a life.