Funding Priorities

Up to 75 percent of the net funds raised by Komen Atlanta stays in our 13-county service area to fund breast health education, breast cancer screening, and treatment projects. The remaining 25 percent of net funds supports the national Susan G. Komen Research Grants Program, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research, meritorious awards, and educational and scientific conferences around the world.

Current Atlanta Funding Priorities

Komen Atlanta has identified the following funding priority areas. Funding priorities were selected based on data from the 2015 Komen Greater Atlanta Community Profile Report.

  • Komen Atlanta seeks to fund projects that provide no cost or low cost screening/diagnostic services, mobile mammography, screening co-pay and diagnostic co-pay and deductible assistance, transportation services, interpreter services and education programs for uninsured and underinsured individuals. Priority will be given to evidence-based projects that focus on screening and diagnostics, and which are aimed to reduce barriers to quality breast cancer care experienced primarily by African American women residing in Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Newton and Rockdale counties.

 

  • Komen Atlanta seeks to fund projects that provide evidence-based patient navigation, including Patient Navigators, Clinical Navigators and Community Navigators. Priority will be given to evidence-based navigation projects that reduce barriers to quality breast care experienced by African American, Hispanic and Latina women, recent immigrants and LGBTQ individuals residing in Cherokee, Clayton, DeKalb, Fulton, and Henry counties.

 

  • Komen Atlanta seeks to fund projects that incorporate evidence-based strategies for breast health treatment support programs that lead to improved breast health outcomes. Priority will be given to projects that focus on treatment support services for African American, Hispanic and Latina women, recent immigrants and LGBTQ individuals currently undergoing treatment, and those in the aforementioned groups who need extra support post-treatment in order to improve their quality of life. Examples of treatment support programs include those providing: physical therapy, lymphedema sleeves, legal services, support for those living with metastatic breast cancer, etc.

Community Profile for Download

The 2015 Community Profile is a needs assessment document that provides an overview of Komen’s grant-making priorities and the breast health needs in our service area. It is published every four years, and it also serves as a guide for grantmaking and fundraising efforts. So as to not duplicate programs already in place and focus efforts on addressing unmet needs for breast health in the community, please familiarize yourself with this document before developing your applications.

Use the links below to review the summary and full 2015 Community Profile Report.