Susan G. Komen to Grant $450,000 to Emory Researcher

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Susan G. Komen Greater Atlanta contact:
Stephanie Libby
Stephanie@springboardconsults.com
678-296-5498

THE SUSAN G. KOMEN ORGANIZATION TO GRANT $450,000 to EMORY RESEARCHER

—  Newly-Funded Research Aims to Improve Quality of Life Among Breast Cancer Patients  —

ATLANTA, GA – Oct. 1, 2014Marking the beginning of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and following through on a commitment to young scientists and clinicians, the Susan G. Komen® organization today announced $16.5 million in new grants to more than 50 early-career breast cancer researchers nationwide. The grants include $450,000 in new funding for research at Emory University, bringing Komen’s total research investment in Georgia to $2.8 million since 1982.

Mylin Torres, MD, Winship Cancer Institute of Emory University, will use the funds to research ways to improve quality of life among breast cancer patients, specifically as it relates to inflammation caused by treatment and cancer-related fatigue.

“We’re proud that the funds we’ve raised in Metro Atlanta are not only providing life-saving support to people in our community, but they also are coming back to our universities and hospitals to enable research that will improve and save lives,” said Cati Diamond Stone, Executive Director of the Susan G. Komen Greater Atlanta Affiliate.

Komen’s research program is funded in part by contributions from local Komen Affiliates across the country, which annually contribute 25 percent of net funds raised in their local community to Komen’s research program, with the remaining 75 percent staying in the community to fund community outreach programs.

“I am grateful for the generous support from the Susan G. Komen organization,” says Mylin Torres, MD, a radiation oncologist at Winship Cancer Institute of Emory University. “The three-year grant will allow me to continue my research into biological causes of long-term therapy related side effects such as fatigue in women with breast cancer.”

Since 1991, Susan G. Komen Greater Atlanta has raised $38 million to enable men and women in Metro Atlanta to detect and survive breast cancer and support national breast cancer research. In its last fiscal year, Komen Atlanta invested $1.9 million in local programming and $451,000 in cutting edge breast cancer research.

For more information about Komen Atlanta, visit www.KomenAtlanta.org.

About Susan G. Komen Greater Atlanta

Komen Atlanta is the local resource for breast cancer screening, diagnostic and support services. Through events, such as Race for the Cure, and contributions, Komen Atlanta raises funds to enable women to detect and survive breast cancer. Seventy-five percent of all funds stay in Atlanta to provide breast health services for women who could not otherwise afford them. Twenty-five percent supports national research efforts to finding a cure. Komen Atlanta has raised more than $38 million since its inception in 1991. Komen Atlanta is part of the national Susan G. Komen organization, which strives to save lives and end breast cancer forever. Komen is the largest private funder in the fight against breast cancer and has invested over $2.5 billion toward the cause. For more information visit KomenAtlanta.org.

###